The European Union launching targeted consultations on digital euro
The European Commission announced another round of consultation on the launch of digital euro, the EU’s central bank digital currency (CBDC). Consultations would aim on comments and considerations of payment industry specialists, e-money institutions and consumer associations, among others. The consultation period started on April 4 and will last until 14 June 2022.
The outcomes of the consultations will target evidence on the following issues:
- Users expectations for a digital euro
- Role in the EU’s retail payments, and impact on digital economy
- Availability for retail use while continuing to safeguard the legal tender status of cash
- Impact on the financial sector, and the financial stability
- Application of anti-money laundering and counter terrorist financing (AML-CFT) rules
- The privacy and data protection aspects
- International payments with a digital euro
Participants can submit their response in an online questionnaire posted on an EU Commission website.