The EU Commission introduced a new proposal for a Directive on common rules promoting the repair of goods
The EU Commission adopted a new proposal on ruling the repair of goods supporting the European Green Deal
On 22 March 2023, the EU Commission adopted a new proposal on ruling the repair of goods supporting the European Green Deal. The proposal will make more accessible and cheaper the repair of a defective product instead of the replacement, with the expiration of the legal guarantee. The goal is to support producers and sellers to spread sustainable business.
The new measures proposed include:
- the right for consumers to claim repair from producers;
- the right to information about the products that producers are obliged to repair themselves;
- an online matchmaking repair platform to connect consumers with repairers and sellers;
- a European Repair Information Form; and
- a European quality standard for repair services.
The proposed regulation is awaiting adoption by the EU Parliament and the Council.