Mobile Technology for Participatory Forest Management: Co-designing and testing prototypes in Kenya
GSMA published a report on mobile technology for participatory forest management that looks at how mobile devices and applications can be leveraged to strengthen participatory forest management (PFM) efforts in Kenya. The research outlined five cross-cutting findings that could further present opportunities for digital innovation in PFM in other Low- and Middle-income Countries (LMICs).
- Community Forest Association (CFA) members are united by a passion for conservation and the need for sustainable income generation;
- The use of digital technology is nascent but growing;
- Current data collection activities are typically manual and slow, and provide little value to CFAs;
- Financial incentives could accelerate tree planting and other ecosystem services; and
- Improved access to information could lead to better conservation and livelihood outcomes.