ITU-T launches focus group on metaverse
A Focus Group on Metaverse was established at the International Telecommunication Union’s Telecommunication Standardization Sector (ITU-T) with the goal of supporting pre-standardisation activities for the metaverse.
Aspects to be considered as part of the group’s work include, among others: working definitions and terminology, concepts, vision, use cases, and ecosystem; technical requirements; technical frameworks and characteristics, including identification of fundamental underlying technologies; aspects related to security and the protection of personally identifiable information; networking infrastructure and connectivity; and interoperability.
The focus group is expected to carry out activities such as:
- Study terminology and concepts.
- Identify and study enabling technologies and key tasks for standardisation purposes.
- Study and gather information to develop a pre-standardisation roadmap.
- Build a community of experts to unify concepts and develop common understandings.
- Identify stakeholders with whom ITU-T could collaborate.
- Establish liaisons and relationships with other organisations that could contribute to pre-standardisation activities.