BRICS announces formation of AI study group
This initiative aims to closely monitor the progress and development of AI technology and catalyse AI innovation within the BRICS member countries.
At the BRICS summit in Johannesburg, which brought together major emerging economies (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa), Chinese President Xi Jinping announced intentions to form an ‘AI study group’ within the BRICS member countries. This initiative aims to closely monitor the progress and development of AI technology. One of the roles of the AI study group will be catalysing innovation in AI within the BRICS member countries. Further details about the project are anticipated to be revealed in the near future.
Chinese President stressed the importance of creating a robust AI governance framework and standardisation to enhance the security, reliability, control, and equity of AI technologies.
Remarks by H.E. Xi Jinping, President of the People’s Republic of China, at the 15th BRICS Summit
‘We need to enable the Study Group to play its full role, further expand cooperation on AI, and step up information exchange and technological cooperation. We need to jointly fend off risks, and develop AI governance frameworks and standards with broad-based consensus, so as to make AI technologies more secure, reliable, controllable and equitable.‘
Other digital topics on the agenda:
- Remote Sensing Satellite cooperation: Plans include exploring a BRICS Global Remote Sensing Satellite Data and Application Cooperation Platform for agriculture, ecological conservation, and disaster reduction.
- Research and technology incubator: China announced plans to create ‘a research and technology incubator of a new era for BRICS countries,’ in a move to support achievements in the area of scientific and technological innovations.
- Sustainable development: Parties are committed to a BRICS Framework on Industrial Cooperation for Sustainable Development aligned with the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Digital education cooperation: A proposal to expand education cooperation, including vocational and digital education mechanisms, was presented.
- Digital economy at focus: President Xi Jinping advocated for practical cooperation in the digital economy, green development, and supply chains during a BRICS summit plenary session.