Your guide to WTO Public Forum 2016:
- WTO Public Forum quicklinks: event website, programme, and information for participants
- The Geneva Internet Platform and DiploFoundation reported from the 2016 WTO Forum. Read the session reports above.
- Download the GIP's WTO Public Forum Report
The GIP's WTO Public Forum Report is now available. The report, published by the Geneva Internet Platform on 3 October 2016, sums up the forum with a thematic round-up of discussions, including economic, sustainable development, and human rights-related topics. Included in the report are additional resources. Download your report.
- All you need to know about: E-commerce | Other economic issues | Digital Divide | Access | Cybersecurity
- Read: E-commerce in the WTO: the next arena of Internet policy discussions? (20 September 2016)
- Read: The rise of e-commerce initiatives: from expanding access to taxation (28 September 2016)
- Read: E-commerce in Europe: consultations, court rulings, and other updates in September (28 September 2016)
- Read: Prospects of decentralised solution in a finance world. The case of blockchain (3 October 2016)
The 2016 World Trade Organization (WTO) Public Forum will take place on 27-29 September, at the WTO's heardquarters in Geneva. Held under the theme 'Inclusive Trade', the Forum will feature discussions on how to ensure that trade benefits everyone, with a particular emphasis on enabling women, innovative start-ups and small and medium-sized enterprises, to take advantage of the opportunities provided by trade.
The Forum will also look at how the trading system can support innovation, and how trade and new technologies are inextricably interlinked, one fostering the other. Some of the questions to be raised will include: Can trade keep up with ever-changing technology? Does the WTO need to reform trade rules to allow members to fully benefit from innovation? How can we tackle internet governance issues? Is technological innovation a driver of development?
The programme of the Forum will include 101 sessions organised by both WTO members, as well as non-governmental organisations, academia, law firms, and international organisations. Some of the sessions will address Internet-related topics, such as: human rights and inclusiveness through digital trade, bridging the digital divide to facilitate inclusive global trade, e-commerce as a tool for inclusiveness, connecting the world through digital trade, etc.
The annual Public Forum is the WTO’s flagship event. It provides a platform for governments, the business sector, academics and non-governmental organisations to come together and discuss some of the major trade and development issues of the day. The Forum celebrates its 15 anniversary in 2016.
More details about the 2016 WTO Public Forum are available on the event webpage.
Join the GIP's session on inclusive digital trade
[Update] Read the session report
The Geneva Internet Platform will host a special session on Inclusive Digital Trade and Sustainable Development: Exploring Creative Solutions and Ways Forward. The session will take place on Thursday, 29th September, at the WTO premises, Room B, from 13:00 to 14:30 CEST (11:00 - 12:30 UTC). It will explore the avenues for meaningful involvement, and concrete actions for achieving inclusive digital trade, with the participation of SMEs and start-ups, as well as Internet economy and sustainable development experts. Learn more.