ITU Council: 2017 Session
The 2017 session of the International Telecommunication Union Council (ITU Council) will be held on 15–25 May, at the ITU headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
The ITU Council acts as the ITU's governing body in the interval between Plenipotentiary Conferences. Its role is to consider broad telecommunication policy issues to ensure that the Union's activities, policies and strategies fully respond to today's dynamic, rapidly changing telecommunications environment.
The ITU Council also prepares a report on the policy and strategic planning of the ITU and is responsible for ensuring the smooth day-to-day running of the Union, coordinating work programmes, approving budgets and controlling finances and expenditure. The Council also takes all steps to facilitate the implementation of the provisions of the ITU Constitution, the ITU Convention, the Administrative Regulations (International Telecommunications Regulations and Radio Regulations), and the decisions of Plenipotentiary Conferences; and, where appropriate, the decisions of other conferences and meetings of the Union.
During its 2017 session, the Council will discuss, among others:
- a report from the Council Working Group on ITU's role in implementing the outcomes of the World Summit on Information Society (WSIS);
- a comprehensive report detailing the activities, actions, and engagement in activities related to WSIS implementation and 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda;
- a report from the Council Working Group on International Internet-related public policy issues;
- issues related to strenghtening the role of ITU in building confidence and security in the use of information and communications technologies (ICTs);
- a report from the Council Working Group on Child online protection;
- a progress report on the review process of the International Telecommunication Regulations;
- the Connect 2020 Agenda for global telecommunication/ICT development;
- facilitating the Internet of Things to prepare for a globally connected world;
- ITU's Operational Plans for 2018–2021;
- ICT for sustainable development goals;
- interconnection of 4G and 5G networks;
- digital financial services.
For more information, visit the event webpage.|full_html