IGF: Policy Options for Connecting and Enabling the Next Billion(s) – Phase III
The Internet Governance Forum (IGF) has launched a call for public input on Phase III of the intersessional work Policy options for connecting and enabling the next billions (CENB III).
CENB III will build on the IGF community's past two years of work on the theme of promoting meaningful Internet access, and will focus on how information and communications technologies (ICTs) can help achieve the United Nations sustainable development goals (SDGs). In particular, contributions are invited that reflect case studies and success stories in which the Internet is playing a key role in advancing four specific SDGs:
- Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning
- Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal 9: Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialisation and foster innovation
Aspects that could be tackled in the contributions include, but are not limited to:
- Examples of how local or regional policies have helped connect and enable users, giving them access to ICTs and providing universal and affordable access to the Internet is least developed countries.
- Stories about how connecting people to the Internet has brought quality education for boys and girls.
- Examples showing how access to the Internet has increased higher education, including in ICTs and technical engineering, as well as qualifying teachers, especially in least developed and developing countries, and small island states.
- Examples and stories in which the use of ICTs has empowered women.
- Examples of how local or regional policies have helped connect and enable users, giving them access to ICTs and providing universal and affordable access to the Internet in least developed countries.
Contributions will serve as input into the outcome document for Policy options for connecting and enabling the next billion – Phase III.
For more details, and to contribute to the consultation, visit the dedicated webpage.|full_html