The OIC-CERT was established in 2009 after a resolution was accepted by the Organisation of the Islamic Cooperation (OIC) during the 35th session of the Council of Foreign Ministers held in Kampala, Uganda on 18-20 June 2008. This is a platform for member countries to explore and to develop collaborative initiatives and possible partnerships in matters pertaining to cybersecurity that shall strengthen their self-reliant in the cyber space.
The OIC-CERT acts as the operating force that leverages on the solid networking and cooperation established within the OIC member countries. The area of collaboration being looked at are :
- Establishment of a national CERT at each OIC-CERT member state;
- Creation and enhancement of common standards and regulations;
- Development and implementation of technical solutions and technologies;
- Capacity building;
- Promotion of international cooperation and coordination in incident management; and
- Promotion of OIC-CERT at the regional and international level.
To date, the OIC-CERT consists of 41 members from 21 countries.