Address: Access Now | PO Box 115 | New York, NY 10113 | United States
Access Now is a non-governmental organisation working in the field on digital civil rights.
The activities of the organisation cover three main areas:
- Policy. Access Now is developing policy guidance to assist governments, corporations and civil society in the elaboration and implementation of practices and policies that respect human rights and fundamental freedoms.
- Advocacy. Through its advocacy campaigns, the organisation promotes its policy positions within public entities and private corporations, and mobilizes global Internet users to stand for their rights.
- Technical support. Access Now also provides technology solutions and advice for Internet users at risks, in circumstances where communications are not open, free, or safe. A Digital Security Helpline is available 24/7 to provide technical guidance and incident response to inform and support activists, journalists, human rights defenders, and other civil society actors.
Access Now’s work spans across five major issues related to digital civil rights:
- Business and human rights. Activities in this area are meant to determine companies to make their practices more transparent, accountable, and rights-respecting.
- Digital security. Access Now’s aim is to ensure that online activities of Internet users are private, safe, and secure.
- Freedom of expression. The organisation works on promoting the right to freedom of expression, as a fundamental right of both individual users and journalists.
- Net discrimination. Activities in this area include advocacy for the net neutrality principle and for a free and open Internet.
- Privacy. Many activities of the organisation are focused on promoting and defending the right to privacy.
Access Now acts as a global organisation, with several offices around the world (in New York, Washington DC, Brussels, San Jose, Manila, and Tunis).