Public Private Partnerships for the Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
An international conference on 'Public private partnerships for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development' will be held on 10–13 April 2018, in Geneva, Switzerland. The event is co-organised by the Joint Inspection Unit of the United Nations System (JIU) and the World Association for Sustainable Development (WASD).
The conference will offer participants – UN entities, the private sector, academia, think tanks and civil society – an opportunity to take part in debates on how to improve the contribution of public and private actors in achieving the sustainable development goals (SDGs). Topics to be discussed will include, among others, coalescing the energies of small and medium-sized enterprises, how to communicate with the private sector about SDGs, investing in SDGs, incentivising the private sector, training for partnerships, and innovation partnerships. The JIU report on the 'United Nations – private sector partnership arrangements' will also form part of the discussions.
Expected outcomes of the event include:
- a better understanding of the evolving nature of existing and emerging partnerships;
- providing the United Nations system and member states with valuable information regarding good practices, innovative approaches, and lessons learned in engaging the private sector;
- an assessment of the fitness for purpose of existing models of multistakeholder partnerships arrangements involving the private sector, as means to leverage resources and concerted efforts towards the implementation of the SDGs;
- an examination of current policies, administrative frameworks, and structures and of their potential to stimulate and valorise the partnerships with the private sector;
- the identification of good practices and opportunities to enhance coherence, synergies, and coordination in building United Nations/ public partnerships with the private sector;
- an exploration of new ways to enhance the interoperability between the United Nations organisations and the enterprises;
- the stimulation of new forms of interaction, dialogue, and partnership between the UN system, the private companies, and the academia in service of the SDGs.
For more information, visit the event webpage.|full_html