14th Caribbean Internet Governance Forum
The 14th Caribbean Internet Governance Forum (CIGF) will be held on 21–23 May 2018 in Paramaribo, Suriname. CIGF is being coordinated by the Caribbean Telecommunications Union (CTU).
CIGF is a regional, multistakeholder forum initiated by the CTU and the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretariat to coordinate a regional approach to Internet governance, initially focusing on the proceedings of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS). CIGF is open to academia, civil society, government policy makers and IT managers, telecommunications regulations, Internet service providers, Internet end users, and international organisations.
The objectives of CIGF 2018 include:
- Facilitate open discussion on current Internet governance matters of Caribbean and global interest
- Review progress, strategies and approaches for building and/or strengthening regional consensus on the issues to enhance IG expertise and action in the Caribbean
- Explore and spread awareness of opportunities for Caribbean growth through the Internet economy
- Build national capacity in Internet governance to enable, support and strengthen effective Caribbean participation and representation at regional and global Internet Governance forums
Topics to be addressed at CIGF 2018 include, inter alia:
- The impact of the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Country/territory names and generic top-level domains (gTLDs)
- Blockchain for social good
- Internet service resiliency
More information will be made available on the event website.|full_html