[Updates] On 12 April, DiploFoundation and the Geneva Internet Platform, in partnership with the Consulate General of Switzerland in San Francisco and swissnex San Francisco, launched the report The rise of TechPlomacy in the Bay Area. Download your copy, and read more about the event, hosted by swissnex.
[Upcoming] Join us at RightsCon in Toronto, on May 2018. We will host a discussion on how states interact with the tech sector in the Bay Area. More details soon.
The Consulate General of Switzerland in San Francisco, swissnex San Franciso, DiploFoundation, and the Geneva Internet Platform will co-organise an event titled 'Hello, World: The Rise of Tech Diplomacy', on 13 April 2018, 01:00 – 04:30 am UTC (12 April 2018, 18:00 – 21:30 Los Angeles time), in San Francisco, California, the USA.
The event will focus on exploring various ways diplomacy has evolved in the Silicon Valley ecosystem, from tech ambassadors to dedicated innovation centres. It will also feature a launch of a report on how countries interact with the Internet industry in the Bay Area in order to promote the interests of their industry and citizens. The report, prepared by DiploFoundation and the Geneva Internet Platform, in partnership with the Consulate General of Switzerland in San Francisco and swissnex San Francisco, analyses the different methods countries use to interact with the Internet industry to achieve their goals. Representatives of several governments will attend the event and present their models of 'tech diplomacy'.
Speakers at the event will include:
- Gioia Deucher, CEO of swissnex San Francisco
- Jovan Kurbalija, Founding Director of DiploFoundation and Head of the Geneva Internet Platform
- Ursula Rojas Weiser, Consul for Economic Affairs at the Consulate General of Mexico in San Francisco
- Mikael Ekman, Chief Advisor and Deputy to Denmark's Tech Ambassador
- Ayaka Suzuki, Director of the Strategic Planning and Monitoring Unit, Executive Office of the Secretary-General (EOSG), United Nations
- Tereza Horejsova, Project Development Director, DiploFoundation
- Pavlina Ittelson, Consultant, DiploFoundation
- Miroslav Tenkl, Director of West Coast Operations, CzechInvest
For more information about the event, visit the dedicated webpage. For more information about the project on 'How countries interact with the Internet industry in the Bay Area', visit https://www.diplomacy.edu/bayarea.