Financing for Development – Time for Global Action
The Third International Conference on Financing for Development will gather high-level political representatives, including Heads of State and Government, and Ministers of Finance, Foreign Affairs and Development Cooperation, as well as all relevant institutional stakeholders, non-governmental organizations and business sector entities. The Conference will result in an intergovernmentally negotiated and agreed outcome, which should constitute an important contribution to and support the implementation of the post-2015 development agenda.
- assessing the progress made in the implementation of the Monterrey Consensus and the Doha Declaration and identifying obstacles and constraints encountered in the achievement of the goals and objectives agreed therein, as well as actions and initiatives to overcome these constraints;
- addressing new and emerging issues, including in the context of the recent multilateral efforts to promote international development cooperation;
- the current evolving development cooperation landscape;
- the interrelationship of all sources of development finance;
- the synergies between financing objectives across the three dimensions of sustainable development; and
- the need to support the United Nations development agenda beyond 2015;
- reinvigorating and strengthening the financing for development follow-up process.
The intergovernmental preparatory process of the Conference was launched on 17 October 2014. It includes a series of substantive informal sessions and informal interactive hearings with civil society and the business sector through March 2015, as well as drafting sessions on the outcome document in January, April and June 2015.
The conference, from 13-16 July 2015, will be hosted at the headquarters of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa at the United Nations Conference Center in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.